Tourists flock to numerous special landmarks around the globe each year, each landmark with its own special charm. Recently, Trip Advisor came out with their 2016 Traveller´s Choice Awards, and Machu Picchu was ranked #1 on the list.
Machu Picchu is a unique archaeological site because it was never discovered by the Spaniards during their invasion. It was constructed by the Incas at the height of their Empire, but once the Spaniards started invading, the Incas abandoned the structure to preserve its secret.
The city is situated on the top of a mountain, surrounded my other gorgeous peaks. It is possible to hike up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain to have a better view of the entirety of the famous Inca citadel. And if hiking isn´t appeasing, exploring and relaxing in the beautiful ruins is the perfect way to soak up the famous site.
Out of the top 25 landmarks in the world, Machu Picchu has been ranked as the best.
When will you check it off of your bucket list?
The 2016 TripAdvisor Travellers´ Choice Awards rank as follows:
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre, United Arab Emirates
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia
- St. Peter´s Basilica, Italy
- Taj Majal, India
- Mosque-Cathetdral of Cordoba, Spain
- Church of the Savior on Blood, Russia
- The Alhambra, Spain
- Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, United States
- Milan Cathedral, Italy
- Golden Gate Bridge, United States
- Hagia Sophia Museum, Turkey
- Grand-Place, Belgium
- Eiffel Tower, France
- Notre Dame Cathedral, France
- Great Wall at Mutianyu, China
- Acropolis, Greece
- Corcovado-Cristo Redentor, Brazil
- Big Ben, United Kingdom
- Chichen Itza, Mexico
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho), Thailand
- Burj Khalifa, United Arab Emirates
- Australian War Memorial, Australia
- Sydney Opera House, Australia
- Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Japan