For any of the Machu Picchu Tours, you will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco and transferred to catch the train from either Poroy or Ollantaytambo station in the morning. On arrival in Aguas Calientes you will meet your guide at the station and go directly by public bus up to Machu Picchu ruins. Once there you'll have a tour of approximately 2 hours, followed by free time. Your return train will be booked for the late afternoon or evening and you will be picked up from either Ollantaytambo or Poroy station and transferred to your hotel.
There are many different train services running between Aguas Calientes, Ollantaytambo and Poroy each day. For this reason no fixed itinerary exists for this excursions - times of train departure and return depend solely on availability though of course we will try our best to meet your requests.
- All train services will depart from and return to Poroy (25 min.) or Ollantaytambo (1,5 - 2 hrs) (subject to availability).
- The Hiram Bingham service does not operate on Sundays.
- The permit to access Wayna Picchu Mountain needs to be booked separately and advisable well in advance.
Train and Bus
Price: Contact us
Please note that all itineraries are subject to change
Bring With You
- Day Pack
- Good Shoes
- Rain Jacket or a Poncho
- Water and Snacks (there are no shops in Machu Picchu)
- Hat or Cap to protect you from the sun or the cold
- Sun Block
- Insect Repellent
- Swimsuit (if you decide to stay the night in Aguas Calientes you can visit the hot springs)
- Original passport and ISIC Card (if you have one). Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Return transport and train from accommodation in Cusco to
- Return train tickets Poroy/Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes.
- Return bus ticket Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu.
- Entrance fee for Machu Picchu.
- Guided tour on Machu Picchu with professional bilingual guide (English/Spanish)
- Food, but only:
- Expedition: small snack.
- Vistadome: breakfast on the way and a small 'brunch' on return.
- Hiram Bingham: all meals, snacks, and drinks.
- TIP for your guide (per person we suggest a voluntary tip to the guide of between US$ 3 - US$ 5).
- All other meals then mentioned above.
It is possible to combine a visit to Machu Picchu with a visit to the Sacred Valley: in that case you do not take the train in Cusco but in Ollantaytambo, in the Sacred Valley.
Another option is to stay for the night in Aguas Calientes and visit the ruins of Machu Picchu (again) on the Second Day.
For more information on hotel options in Aguas Calientes, or to book a hotel, please contact us.
You can also visit the famous Hot Water Springs in Aguas Calientes.